Thursday, April 11, 2013

Nicu Days 4 and 5

Day 4: Monday, April 8, 2013

Same schedule, different day. Morning rounding went well. The doc who saved Evan immediately upon delivery was there. I was kangarooing Evan at the time and admittedly half paying attention. All I heard him say was "Evan holds a Mott nicu record...". Not fully understanding what he meant, I laughed. The whole nicu team looked at me as if I had two heads. I then asked for clarification. The record he holds is not a good one. He had the lowest hemocrit ever recorded at birth. Translation? He had the worst case of anemia at birth. Essentially, we had hours. My ob at the time made an amazing call. See, I was on NST monitoring all night before the c-section, and there really wasn't anything to indicate that they couldn't wait one more day while the lungs matured. However, this ob just felt something in his gut that said "deliver now". I've been looking for him everyday because I want to say thank you.

My mom spent the morning in the nicu with me, while Alex took Emmeline on a playdate. She is doing so well. Then, in the evening, Alex and I had the opportunity to hang out with the boys by ourselves while my mom watched Emmeline. They were just about ready to put the lights on Oliver (for jaundice) when we arrived, so we couldn't hold him - I was glad I had the chance to spend kangaroo time with both in the morning. Even though we couldn't hold Oliver, it was still very nice for both of us to be able to be there and spend time with the boys. Alex had a chance to hang with Evan.

Day 4 Evan:


Day 4 Oliver (morning):


Day 4 Oliver (evening with lights):



Day 5: Tuesday, April 9, 2013
After taking Emmeline to preschool (with pics of her new brothers), Alex and I spent the morning with the boys. I was so happy to see that the lights were already off Oliver...unexpected! We both got some kangaroo time with the boys...me with Oliver, Alex with Evan. Good reports at turnover. Not much to report...which is a very good thing. After picking Emmeline up from preschool, we decided to take an evening off from the nicu and we went out to dinner with my mom. Another good day.

Day 5 Evan:


Day 5 Oliver:


Day 5 Mom with Oliver:


No comments:

Post a Comment